Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Gold Mine


While hiking one spring day in the desert near Apache Junction, Arizona, my sister-in-law shared with me the local legend of the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine. While many versions of the story exist, they revolve around a German prospector named Jacob Waltz who struck gold in a rich mine in the nearby Superstition Mountains. Waltz eventually fell ill and died, disclosing the location of the mine only to a neighbor who helped him in his last days. Unable to find the mine herself, she supposedly sold copies of a map to others who wanted to give the hunt a try. To date the mine’s location remains a mystery, if it exists at all.

That morning as I looked up at the mountain peaks looming before me I laughed because “gold” was clearly visible, everywhere I looked, The green sloping hillsides were covered in brilliantly blooming bands of Mexican golden poppies , interlacing the patches of beautiful purple lupine.

So many people today are likewise looking for earthly riches of one type or another, following directions from others who are as confused and empty-handed as they are themselves. Yet I was reminded of the scriptures in God’s map, the Bible, which point the way to true wealth. Like the wildflowers on the mountain slopes, all of God’s treasures are likewise in plain view if we have eyes to see them, a heart to seek Him, and ears to hear His voice.

“My son, give me your heart and let your eyes observe and delight in my ways,”
(Proverbs 23:26 AMP)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...