Monday, May 21, 2012

Walking Shoes

“Where are my shoes?” my son asked as he hurriedly grabbed what he needed in order to survive another day at school. Knowing he was already agitated about other items he hadn’t been able to locate, I quickly laid his footwear out before him. “There’re right here,” I answered, hoping to calm him somewhat before he headed out to where his friend waited patiently for him in the car.

Laying out my son’s clothes and finding missing footwear have been a part of my life since his birth seventeen years ago. For years now I’ve rummaged for clean jeans, missing  jackets, and lost socks and shoes of all sorts and sizes. Especially the shoes. I’ve set out school shoes, tennis shoes, soccer shoes, and work shoes. But more important than any of those are the spiritual footwear I’ve laid out for him to walk in.

The Bible tells us that as Christians our feet need to be shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace. Sometimes, as was the case this morning, that peace is a little hard to find. So all his life I’ve been placing spiritual shoes before him by teaching him to look for it in the pages of his Bible, dig into the promises of God and unveil the hope for the future that God’s Word contains. He’ll find that the spiritual walking shoes he’s been missing have been waiting for him there all along.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." 
(Proverbs 22:6 KJV)

4 comments:

  1. Relating the story of your son and his shoes was a beautiful tie-in with the spiritual lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful, relevant post, Elaine. Good to see your smiling face, too. :>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaine, you've presented another thoughtful, insightful analogy, as always. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found this blog and so glad that I did! Great lessons you share from every day experiences. Blessings!
    Pam at 2 Encourage

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...